Do I Need to File Claims with Original Medicare for Medical Services
Filing a claim with Medicare
How to File a Claim
- Download, print and fill out the "Patient Request for Medical Payment." This can be found at Medicare.gov or CMS.gov.
- Obtain an itemized bill from your health care provider that includes the name and address of the provider, the date of the service and the amount charged.
- Write a detailed letter explaining why you are filing the claim yourself.
- Mail the form, the bill, the letter and any other supporting documents to your state's Medicare contractor. You can find the address for the contractor at CMS.gov or on your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN).
- If you need more detailed instructions or help finding your state's Medicare contractor, you can call our team of expert advisors for help.